Patriots- colonists who wanted to break away from British rule
Loyalists- colonists who wanted to remain part of the British empire
As the colonists approached revolution against the British, many colonists were still undecided on whether they were patriots or loyalists. Some people, especially those in Boston, where British taxes and other laws were felt the most, were very much in support of protesting British laws and the possibility of breaking away from the British altogether. Other colonists were very happy to be part of the British empire, and had no desire to fight a war against the most powerful country in the world.
If you lived during this time period, would you have been a loyalist or a patriot?
Explain why- What might you say to convince people of the opposite view point to join your side? Be specific (Think about class discussions and the webquest).
***Remember: Not everyone lived in Boston. People further away from busy port cities like Boston barely noticed or cared about the taxes imposed by the British, especially in the Southern Colonies. Life in the colonies was pretty good for most of the people- Taxes were actually lower than the taxes people living in England paid, you had a steady trading partner in England, you were allowed to practice your own religion, you had your own land.
i would be a patronist because i belive u should fight for what you belive in.i would convince people by addresing the issues,if we beat britian we will be free of the taxes and boges laws.you will always be controlled and when you finnaly want to rebell you will be made fun of.now is the time to act,we can make a differwence,we can unite under one govermant.no king,we can decide our own laws,fate and democracy.so join us and we will unite on something stronger than war but for freedom and liberty
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that we should fight for what we belive in.
DeleteI agree that we should follow wat we beluve in and if we want to beluv in freedom why should we have to fight for it?
DeleteI agree with you and how you think there British laws are bogus and demeaning. I think th British have no right to rule the colonists like that either.
Delete-please reply
If I had to pick one I would pick patriot, it doesn't seem very independant for our country to be ruled by another. Also the way they raised the taxes on evreything just because soome guy said they should, plus, how would british be an independant colony when we are supporting them, I mean ya they are supporting us but they want to be independant when they need to raise taxes. I also feel that maybe the british should not always be the most powerful colony and until we break away from them we are just supporting them and suppose a war happened and then the opposing country would come after us not just the british.
ReplyDeleteagreed thats not right to leave us hanging out to dry when we could be so much better on out own
Deletei toatoly agree,why should we listen to some guy who came to power not by fighting for it but by blood.we should have a say in stuff we do
DeleteI also agree with you because we shouldn't be runned by a different colony. We should be independant.
DeleteI completely agree with your decision on being a patriot because I odn't think it's fair making people pay expensively high prices just because you want/need more money.
Delete-please reply
I agree with u because I do not think that it is fair to raise the taxes
Deletei would be a patriot because i thought that the tax increases where wrong and i would fight even though they where not up by that much it was still very mean on what the did
ReplyDeleteyou really want to fight with the other people because i would not like that but after i realized that the boston massurce has happened in the state where the patriots live
DeleteBut the Patriots were fighting for a good reason... They faught for what they believed in.
DeleteI agree because the Patriots did fight for a good reason
Deletei would have been a loyaltist because i would have lived in new york not in massachusetts where the boston massacre and all the protesting happpened.also knowing my parents they wouldnt go against the grain they may not have liked the taxes but they wouldnt go against there governments laws.that is why i would have been a loyaltist.
ReplyDeletethose are some very good reasons. i would of not want to be there too because the protesters would be yelling 24/7
Deletei think it would be bad and very sad to live where the boston massurce has occured and that is why i went along with your answer
DeleteI would also be a loyalist for thoes reasons. Plus if you don't live in Boston, why would care what happens there? If you don't have a problem with Britan, then you are not going to fight them.
DeleteYou want to be part of a government tht says u can't be free and u won't fight for wat u beluve in without havin to go to war or move were you want without getting approval
Delete............ and them saying no!!!!!!!!!!
If I lived during this time period I would live in the south. I would have been a loyalist because I think it should of been handle different from the people in Boston.
DeleteI would be a patriot because i would not want to live like that
ReplyDeleteLike what? Give details to explain your answer.
Deletei have changed my mind i would want to live in ney york and not whee the boston massurce has happened.
DeleteLIKE WHAT
Deletei would want to be a loyalists because i just want to part of the British. They have the weapons, protection, and resources to be on there side!!! :)
ReplyDeleteBut they were also unfairly taxing the colonists in Boston but other than that sure
DeleteXoXo is right taxes are good but over taxing or unfair taxing is bad.
DeleteI WOULDNT WANT TO BE A LOYALIST BECAUES THE BRITHIS WERE MAKING LIFE HARD ON THE COLONIES. ALSO THE COLONIES HAD WEPONS AND PROTECTION ON THEIR SIDE AND THATS WHY THE COLONIES GAINED INDEPENDENCE FROM GREAT BRITIAN
DeleteI would be a loyalist because i am a american.
ReplyDeleteWhat do you mean by this? Loyalists, by definition were loyal to the British Crown.
DeleteThats not anof to answer the quesion
Deletewhy would be loyalist . and u wouldnt be a american u r sordave against america. but be who evber u want.:]
DeleteLoyalists arent american it meant that you were loyal to the British crown
DeleteI would be A PATRIOT because i would want to rebel them on any law or taxx:)
ReplyDeleteif u rebelled them on any law, what if the law was to give everyone a million dollars.would you rebell against that or agree with it.
DeleteI have one Question...Why would they give everyone a million dollars, It would be stupid to give them a million dollars because they just got over with the war.
Deletei would be a loyalist because i would want to remain in power and have lots of protection by the birtish. i would be rich,i would be nice to slaves i will teach them to read and wright. they would have a good shelter lots of food and water. lots of space on my land to roam around on and have a good time. but they have to work too. but not on sunday they have the day off to practice their religen.
ReplyDeletei dont agree with your statements because during the revolutionary war who won? the patriots and after that the british did not prtect them any more.
Deletei would be a patriot. just because the crown did good for me does not mean that it is right to tax people for any random thing that pops into their heads. it also frustrated me when the people had the stamp act repealed, the british just made the townshend act to show the people whos 'in charge'. i dont think the people acted wrongly, i understand that the british were trying to pay depts but they took it way too far.
ReplyDeletei agree with you. i dont think it was right of the british to just put taxes on everything. they should've put theirselves in the colonist shoes and thought of how they would feel if they had to pay taxes for everything.
Deleteya really the took it too far i mean raising taxes a little is ok but just for everything is harsh and taxes are ok for a LITTLE WHILE NOT FOREVER.
DeleteI would pick patriot. I would probably say that if you join me we will fight to take away the taxes. I would also say that when the taxes are over with lets teach those red coats a lesson
ReplyDeleteI agree. You probably could fight to take away taxes. BUT, it is probably harder than it seems. You would need people to fight with you. You would need guns, gun powder, baonets, food, water, clothes, and many other things to go to war. You would also need to stay "undercover". What I mean by this is you would have to make sure no one snitched on you and what was going to happen.
DeleteI would help you with the getting back part.
Deletei agree i would not like tax on every thing i work to hard to give my money away for taxs
Deletewhy do you need to fight we can simply move back to Great Britain
DeleteTaxes are a good thing to gain money for the country, but to over tax is annoying and tedious.
DeleteI dont agree, You would fight for many reasons. Why would you want to back to Britain to be ruled by the king. If you fought you could probably get rid of taxes and live your life the way you want to.
DeleteI would be a partriot becase I think that the british taxes were very unfair and unnessicary. I would say "WE MUST JOIN TO OVERCOME" to get people to join me in the revolution.
ReplyDeletei agree with most of ur comment and the fact that the taxes were un fair but i dont think they were unnessicary, the british government still need the money to pay their debts
Deleteyes i know but why do they have to tax us and not their own people it would also be nice if we got some representation...
DeleteIf i had a choice I would be a patriot. Even though we are in New York and would probably have nothing against the British, I think I wouldn't like the fact of waking up in the morning and reading about how innocent people were killed by British soldiers in the newspaper. People should be able to believe in what they want to believe in. If a person thinks that soldiers are disrespecting people they shouldn't have to support it. I would convince people to be patriots because in a way they are supporting violence against innocent people.If enough people became patriots you could probably over throw the kings rule and live how you want to live. Taxes would be gone, you would be free to live your life, and you could do what you wanted.
ReplyDeleteI would pick to be a partriot because i would fight for britsh rules, and try to overcome them, after its all over i would teach those british soliders a leason.
ReplyDeletei totally agree with you it is unfair to pay taxes
DeleteThey could of handle in a different was instead of happened at the Boston Tea Party.
Deletei would be a patriot. i want to be a patriot because i dont think it fair of the britians to tax the colonist when they dont even have a representative to stand up for them. i would take part in fighting back and trying to gain rights for the colonists.
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot. the reason why i would be a patriot is because i would not want to live in a colony that has tax on every thing i would like to live in a colony that has no tax.
ReplyDeletei would be a patroit.i would be that so i could fight in the war and try to get rid of all the taxes and fight for freedom.also i would want to do this cause they were being annoying with all the tax that they put on us
ReplyDeletei think so too. the taxes were unfair and someone had to do something about it.
DeleteI agree about being a patriot, but for a different reason. I dont think that the taxes on the colonists were that bad, it was the reason they British to pass as many taxes.
DeleteIf i lived in the colonial period iwould most definatly be a patriot. The life of a patriot might be more challenging than that of a loyalist...But it is what won us our freedom and brought us america. I would feel almost honored to be able to be a part of the patriot colonist group. That started it all...(almost)
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot. i would be a patriot because they stand up what they believe in. they wont give up and let the british stomp non them. thats why i would be a patriot.
ReplyDeleteNobody needs to keep us if the British were arresting us for no reason. i would let everyone go
ReplyDeleteI am a patriot for that reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deletei would be a patriot because i could take the texes, and be rich.
ReplyDeleteI would pick to be a patriot. I would pick this because you should fight for what you belive in.I would say that were basically being ruled by Great Britian but there not even in Boston. Also we shouldn't have taxes on stuff just because one person says so, we should vote. If we (patriots) win we could have the taxation stop. We probaby lost aton of money in the French and Indian War but still there should be another way to get money.
ReplyDeleteyou should fight for say in government and on taxes
Deletei agre i think that fighting for what you belive in.also i thik voteing might of prevented all this from happining.I also think that they should gust sell land for monney.
Deletei would probably want to be a patriot. i would try to convince people that if we broke away we would not have to pay taxes. i would also say that we would have more say in the government.
ReplyDeletei agree i would help other patriots by telling the loyalist that we would have no taxes if we are not part of britain and we didnt have ti listen to their laws or anything the british want!
Deletei agree i would tell people that if we broke away we dident have to pay taxes too. i would also tell them to boycot.
DeleteI still agree, but the bad thing isnt the taxes they werent that bad it was the reason people were being taxed thecolonists had no say in the British government.
DeleteI would be a loyalist, that is if I lived in the southern colonies.Why on Earth would I want to fight the biggest and most powerful county in the world? Besides why would I fight only because of what is happening to Boston? I don't live in Boston so I don't care what happens there. I can fight if i want to, and I DON'T want to. If the people in Boston are having trouble there, then just move some where else. Is it really that hard to do? I personaly think it isn't.Also if go to war against the British soldiers, there is no way you can win. There would be nothing to gain Only much to lose. That would be most of the reasons why I would remain a loyalist.
ReplyDeletebut you would be taxed on mostly everything
Deletethe people wouldnt like u if u didnt fight and being a lylist is like saying the the boston massacre was ok.
Deletei picked patriot because loyalist might have been hurt in some way. like the tarring and feathering. also the damage that could have been done to your property. thats why i would rather be a patriot than a loyalist.
DeleteI understand that you would like to be a loyalist but in my opinion being taxed highly on everyday goods (Townshend Act),legal documents (Stamp Act), and tea (Tea Act)is very unfair since the British don't get taxed as much.
Delete-please reply
If I lived during that time period I would be a patriot. I would be a patriot because Great Brittans king and Parliament were unfairly taxing the colonists as of loyalists, thee main argument was money and protection, at that time the British navy was consiterd the absolute best. In the end I would stay loyal to my country.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you but your going to fase a powerful country. good luck
DeleteI would most certainly not be a patriot but if I were to be a loyalest i would go back to Great Britain and restart my life...
ReplyDeleteagain
continued...
ReplyDeleteI would not like the tax and every one else probably doesn't like it ether but why should we fight
i would be a patriot because if i were a loyalists i would be taxed on mostly everything and that would realy stink!! you would be taxed on tea and everyday goods and on any kind of licences.
ReplyDeleteIf I lived in the time of the Revolutionary war I would be a patriot. I don't beleive paying the taxes would be the problem, it's the reason I would have to pay taxes. My government would have no say in the tax laws the British made and I could be taxed as much as the British pleased for no reason.
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot because the taxes wernt right because we had no say. and also the Boston massacre shouldnt have happened 5 people were killed. the colonists should not have been taxed on just one persons say. the people were very willing to fight for freedom. to give up there lives for freedom.i think they deserved it.
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot becuase i think all of the british taxes were very unfair to the colloniest. even though great britian was in debt and need the money i dont think the should have some of the taxes that they (the british) did. if i were a patriot i would write letters brodcasting my feeling so that others might want to become a patiot in stead of a loyalist.
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot because i do not like how the king ruled the colonies. the king taxed the colonies and expicilly the tea. the king also made outragous laws like the stamp act that taxed all legal doc. and the writs of assistince witch let british soliders board and ship without a reason and search the boat. i would be apart of the boston tea party and riot with the crowds.
ReplyDeleteI would like to be Patriot. Because the British representatives have too many rules (laws). If you wanted to be apart of the British empire you would be taaxed on everyday things.
ReplyDeleteIf I lived during the time of the Revolutionary War I would be a partiot. I choose this because I hate when my family member trys to become the boss of me (except for my dad, so for me to be ruled entirely by another country makes me feel mad. Some colonies didnt even have represantatives to help with our laws (government). Loyalists stay true to Britain but when has Britain ever stayed true to them. It doesnt make sence to side with them when they act like they are dictators of the world. Partiotrism is the path I would take during the Revolutionary War.
ReplyDeleteI would of been a Patriout because they were against british exports. Then is they protest against british,then they have jobs like a aprentise.
ReplyDeleteDear pom pom dogs i like how you said you should fight in what you biel3eve in, sorta what i was trying to say.
ReplyDeleteDear cake i like how you said the british cant keep them. thats what i woulod say. good job.
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot because i wont get taxed like loyalists do. if i were a loyalists iwould get taxed for everything. for example tea and other goods u mite need.
ReplyDeleteif ur a patriot u would still get taxed the same amount you just wouldnt buy the taxed things. also you have to think of were u live, new york. u would be a farmer and the british would be buying ur crops so a little tax would not do that much to u.
Deletei will be a loylist.You will be the most important country on the earth. I dont want to face a country with th most powerful country.I dont want a war againest them. there to powerful
ReplyDeleteif i lived in that time period i would be a loyalists. i would be a loyalists becase if i lived in the south british bought a lot of cash crops from us. plus they r not taxing us and they have the mos powerful military ther was.
ReplyDeletei would be a loyalist because if i lived in the south the british bought a lot of cash crops from us. also they didnt tax us. plus they had the most powerful military out there life was very good if u lived in the south.
ReplyDeleteall of those reasons are good for the revolution. so at the end you can pay of what u need to.
Deletei like whtt tiger said i said i would be a loyalist but he/ she said thing i didnt think of
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot because i think its un fair that we would have to pay taxes for stuff that dosent need taxed.Also we dont got anyone to repersent us in the parloment thats even something bigger for the british to see that its not fair to tax us like they do. Also we should be are own country and be free from the british
ReplyDeletei would be a patriot. i chose this because i didnt like the dumb rules. the dumb taxes like the tea act was outrageous. also who would like to get taxed on the every day good like cards dice and dumb stuff that is why i would choose to be a patriot
ReplyDeletei would be a patryot because the taxes seem rong. just because some peson said you have to pay taxes is rong you need represteners.
ReplyDeleteIf i lived during that time i would be a patiot. I would be a patiot for many resons. One is i fell like i shouldent have to pay more than i have to.Also i worked hard for that mouny and i fell like i should spend it on beter things then taxes.Finaly i would probubly drink alot of tea so i have to pay even more for an evry day good.I am fine with the stamp act bur they toke it to far with the tea act.
ReplyDeletePatriot: for freedom and to protest against the unfair taxes of King George III... I would not want want to be loyal to the unfair British Empire.
ReplyDeleteIf I were trying to get loyalists to join the patriots side during the Revolutionary War I would do and say many things. First I would tell them that they were on the wrong side and say that the British could turn on them at any moment. Then if the loyalists ever had a secret meeting I would crash it with other patriots and tell them they have been warned. Next I would tell the loyalists that if they don't speak now they have to stay silent forever. Meaning that if they don't join now they can never join. For example Benjamin Franklin made a political cartoon saying,"Join or Die". Finally I would tell the loyalists that if we get enough patriots we can overthrow the British and rule as one without dictatorship. We wont have to listen to the British ever again. I would say and do many more things to get people to be patriots.
ReplyDeleteIf I lived during this time period I would live in the south. I would have been a loyalist because I would not want to go against the greatest empire in the world. I would want the protection from the British. The only reason the Boston Tea Party happened is because the tax from the British and I do not agree with how the people in Boston acted.
ReplyDeletei would be a loyalist because i live in new york where most people didnt care. the taxes were lower in america so i dont see the point. also a would a farmer any way so british taxes wouldnt effect me very much,and were paying for my crops. also i would not want to be against the strongest country in the world.
ReplyDeletei would wat to be a loyalist because they have protection and lots of other things. they also are on the british side and they have guns and many people on their sides they can also do what ever they like because the can randomly searh homes and ships and that would be fun
ReplyDeleteI would be a patriot because I believe that we should fight for what we believe in and not being taxed by the loyalists also I do not believe in ruling of the king
ReplyDeleteif i lived during this time period i would like to be a loyalist. this is because i wouldnt be hated by the mother country.
ReplyDeleteloyalist would also have advantages maybe because they are with the mother country
Deleteif i were living in this time i would be a loyalist because the british were the strongest empire in the world and ant nobody ganna mess with that
ReplyDelete